Your gastroenterologists in Greenbelt, MD, can help you feel better.
Dr. Sushil Rattan and Dr. Radman Mostaghim of GI Med Health in Greenbelt, MD, offer a wide range of gastroenterology services, including diagnosis and treatment of abdominal pain, to help you feel better.
Abdominal pain can make you miserable, affecting you in many different ways. Along with the pain, you might be suffering from diarrhea, constipation, nausea, and other signs and symptoms. Sometimes the cause is obvious, but quite often, you won’t know what is causing your abdominal pain. That’s where your gastroenterologist comes in. It’s important to keep track of your symptoms, the first occurrence, and the frequency of your abdominal pain.
If your abdominal pain comes on all at once, it could be a symptom of:
- Kidney stones, or a kidney or bladder infection
- A urinary tract infection or gastroenteritis
- Appendicitis, cystitis, or diverticulitis
- Pancreatitis or peritonitis
If your abdominal pain happens all of the time, it could be a symptom of:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- An inguinal or hiatal hernia
- Celiac disease or gastritis
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Ulcerative colitis or a peptic ulcer
If you have worsening abdominal pain, you need to see your gastroenterologist as soon as you can, because it can be a symptom of:
- Crohn’s disease or hepatitis
- Non-Hodgkins lymphoma
- Stomach, kidney, liver, gallbladder, or pancreatic cancer
You should see your gastroenterologist right away if you have abdominal pain along with:
- A high fever
- Nausea or vomiting
- Rapid weight loss
- Yellowing skin
- Blood in your stool
- Abdominal swelling
When you visit your gastroenterologist, they may recommend procedures to diagnose the cause of your abdominal pain, like a colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, or a combination of these procedures. After determining the cause of your abdominal pain, your gastroenterologist will formulate a treatment plan to help relieve your symptoms and treat the cause of your pain.
To find out more about abdominal pain diagnosis and treatment, call Dr. Rattan and Dr. Mostaghim of GI Med Health in Greenbelt, MD, at (301) 982-7900. Start feeling better by calling today!